The Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI) is a third-party organization that provides independent oversight of professional credentialing and project certification programs related to green building.
GBCI is committed to ensuring precision in the design, development, and implementation of measurement processes for green building performance through project certification and green building practice through professional credentials and certificates.
Established in 2008 to administer certifications and professional designations within the framework of the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED green building rating systems, GBCI continues to develop new programs and offer the marketplace validation that building certifications and professional designations have met specific, rigorous criteria.
GBCI can provide third party verification services for your certification and credentialing needs. Interested? Contact us.
GBCI develops and administers the ANSI 17024 accredited LEED professional credential exams, which include the LEED Green Associate and LEED AP with specialty credentials, as well as the LEED for Homes Green Rater and LEED Project Reviewer professional certificates.
GBCI also oversees the Credential Maintenance Program (CMP) for LEED professionals. Continuing education keeps LEED professionals at the forefront of the green building industry, driving ongoing excellence in the marketplace and ensuring that LEED professionals are the most qualified in the field. Learn more about LEED professional credentials »
Go to your credential account »
| || |
GBCI administers the LEED certification program, performing third-party technical reviews and verification of registered projects to determine if they have met the standards set forth by the LEED rating system.
Dedicated technical experts ensure building certification meets the highest levels of quality and integrity. To date, the total footprint of LEED-certified projects surpasses one billion square feet. Another six billion square feet are registered with GBCI for certification. Learn more about LEED certification »
Log in to LEED Online »
GBCI also administers PEER, which is a comprehensive, consumer-centric, data-driven system for evaluating power system performance. Learn more about PEER »
GBCI’s mission is to be the premier organization independently recognizing excellence in green building performance and practice globally.
Buildings and communities will regenerate and sustain the health and vitality of all life within a generation.
- Assuring Validity and Quality: We ensure rigor in the design, development and implementation of the processes we use to measure green building performance (certification) and green building practice (credentialing). Our approaches and methodologies are designed for consistency and objectivity to assure the validity of our certifications and credentials.
- Ensuring Transparency and Clarity: We are open and authentic in the way we do business and the information we make available. We operate within the standards and guidelines of our business. The way we conduct our business—with a deep sense of integrity and ethical responsibility—creates a sense of predictability in the marketplace. Our stakeholders know what they can expect from us.
- Adapting to Change: We practice continuous improvement and adapt to the changing needs of the global marketplace, advancing our knowledge and expertise to move the green building industry forward.
- Providing Excellence in Service: Our focus is on building relationships with those we serve. We provide excellence through high‐quality responsiveness to our clients and customers. Our goal is to support and partner with our stakeholders for the long‐term.
- Driving Change to Create a Lasting Impact on the World: We affect the green building environment in an enduring way by verifying knowledge and performance. We influence long‐term beneficial change by focusing on results that matter and recognizing leadership in the field. We feel a personal and organizational responsibility for creating global change that is economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable and lasting.
GBCI Board of Directors
- Gail Vittori
- Harry T. Gordon
- Ganesh Rao
- Don Anderson
- S. Richard Fedrizzi
- Thomas Mueller
- Liberty Munson
- Mahesh Ramanujam
Call 1-800-795-1746 (within the US) or 1-202-828-1145 (outside the US).