The Green Building Certification Institute (GBCI) is an independent, third-party global certification and credentialing body related to the green building industry.
GBCI ensures best in class delivery and full service offerings including brand building and brand management, user experience, platform development, sales and marketing.
Established in 2008, GBCI is the only group to administer project certifications and professional credentials and certificates within the framework of the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating Systems as well as the PEER standard for power systems, the WELL building standard and the GRESB benchmark, which is used by institutional investors to improve the sustainability performance of the global property sector.
GBCI can provide third party verification services for your certification and credentialing needs. Interested? Contact us.
LEED, or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, is a green building certification program that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices. To receive LEED certification, building projects satisfy prerequisites and earn points to achieve different levels of certification: Certified, Silver, Gold and Platinum. Learn more about LEED certification »
LEED prerequisites and credits differ for each rating system, and teams choose the best fit for their project. LEED is available for both new construction and existing buildings and for all building types ranging from commercial office spaces, retail, warehouses, data centers, health facilities, interior fit-outs, core & shell development, as well as homes, communities and entire neighborhoods. Used in 150+ countries today, LEED is the only global rating system that offers regional approaches to environmental and building issues and local resources to help projects on the ground, wherever they are. Learn more in the LEED digital marketing brochure »
- Proven performance: LEED saves money and energy, reduces water consumption, improves indoor air quality, facilitates better product & material choices, and drives innovation. Third-party certification by GBCI verifies that your project is designed, built and operating the way it was intended. It is also your first step toward managing your building through its entire lifecycle.
- Continuous improvement: Behind the LEED program is an immense infrastructure developed to support the leaders in the industry as they innovate and create cutting-edge, high performance buildings. We make significant investments each year to maintain, operate and improve LEED and its delivery.
- Lifetime of returns: LEED-certified buildings cost less to operate, reducing energy and water bills by as much as 40%. Businesses and organizations across the globe use LEED to increase the efficiency of their buildings, freeing up valuable resources that can be used to create new jobs, attract and retain top talent, expand operations and invest in emerging technologies. LEED buildings have faster lease-up rates and may qualify for a host of incentives like tax rebates and zoning allowances. Not to mention they retain higher property values. GBCI administers the LEED certification program, performing third-party technical reviews and verification of registered projects to determine if they have met the standards set forth by the LEED rating system. Dedicated technical experts ensure building certification meets the highest levels of quality and integrity.
Log in to LEED Online »
Technology is blurring the lines between demand and supply in the building and power industries, driving the need for a more integrated understanding of the essential interplay between buildings and energy generation, transmission, and distribution systems. PEER is a dynamic, adaptive rating process designed to measure and improve sustainable power system performance.
PEER seeks to enhance this interconnectedness and transform the power industry by forging cross-sector, outcome-driven collaboration, and leveraging emerging technologies, policies, and consumer understanding. Modeled after LEED, PEER is the driving force behind USGBC's vision to transform the way power systems are regulated, designed and operated.
PEER represents an exciting new opportunity for:
- Building industry professionals working to make buildings more responsive to emerging distributed generation, micro-grid, demand response and islanding technologies.
- Power systems in search of competitive advantage through enhanced performance and demonstrated, meaningful outcomes.
- Power industry professionals seeking to leverage the capability of buildings to address peak load, reliability, efficiency, and safety challenges.
Learn more about PEER »
WELL Building Standard
The WELL Building Standard is a performance-based system for measuring, certifying and monitoring features of the built environment that impact human health and well-being, through air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort and mind.
Grounded in a body of medical research that explores the connection between the buildings where we spend more than 90 percent of our time and the health and wellness of its occupants, WELL certification and LEED certification go hand in hand.
WELL focuses on how the physical built environment supports human health, productivity, well-being and comfort, marrying best practices in design and construction with evidence-based health and wellness interventions. Certification allows building owners and employers to know that their space is promoting health and well-being as it was designed and intended.
Future refinements of WELL will address the specific requirements of multifamily residences, retail and restaurants, sports facilities and convention centers, schools and healthcare facilities. Projects representing these typologies are invited to register and join our ongoing pilot process. WELL is the culmination of seven years of rigorous research in collaboration with leading physicians, scientists and industry professionals.
WELL was pioneered by Delos; is managed and administered by the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI); and is third-party certified through IWBI’s collaboration with GBCI. For projects that have already been LEED-certified, USGBC will align WELL with the LEED Dynamic Plaque and LEED existing building recertification.
Learn more about WELL »
GBCI develops and administers the ANSI 17024 accredited LEED professional credential exams, which include the LEED Green Associate and LEED AP with specialty credentials, as well as the LEED for Homes Green Rater and LEED Project Reviewer professional certificates. Learn more about LEED professional credentials »
GBCI also oversees the Credential Maintenance Program (CMP) for LEED professionals. Continuing education keeps LEED professionals at the forefront of the green building industry, driving ongoing excellence in the marketplace and ensuring that LEED professionals are the most qualified in the field.
Go to your credential account »
GBCI is the premier organization independently recognizing excellence in green building industry performance and practice globally and ensuring global competitiveness and reduced environmental impact through its voluntary certification and credentialing standards.
Buildings and communities will regenerate and sustain the health and vitality of all life within a generation.
- Assuring Validity and Quality: We ensure rigor in the design, development and implementation of the processes we use to measure green building performance (certification) and green building practice (credentialing). Our approaches and methodologies are designed for consistency and objectivity to assure the validity of our certifications and credentials.
- Ensuring Transparency and Clarity: We are open and authentic in the way we do business and the information we make available. We operate within the standards and guidelines of our business. The way we conduct our business—with a deep sense of integrity and ethical responsibility—creates a sense of predictability in the marketplace. Our stakeholders know what they can expect from us.
- Adapting to Change: We practice continuous improvement and adapt to the changing needs of the global marketplace, advancing our knowledge and expertise to move the green building industry forward.
- Providing Excellence in Service: Our focus is on building relationships with those we serve. We provide excellence through high‐quality responsiveness to our clients and customers. Our goal is to support and partner with our stakeholders for the long‐term.
- Driving Change to Create a Lasting Impact on the World: We affect the green building environment in an enduring way by verifying knowledge and performance. We influence long‐term beneficial change by focusing on results that matter and recognizing leadership in the field. We feel a personal and organizational responsibility for creating global change that is economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable and lasting.
GBCI Board of Directors
- Gail Vittori
- Harry T. Gordon
- Ganesh Rao
- Don Anderson
- S. Richard Fedrizzi
- Thomas Mueller
- Liberty Munson
- Mahesh Ramanujam
Contact us or call 1-800-795-1746 (within the US) or 1-202-828-1145 (outside the US).