Leaders share their expertise at Greenbuild China
Just last week, the Greenbuild Conference made history by holding its first Greenbuild in Asia.
Greenbuild is the place where those who are connected to the green building movement, from architects to developers to product manufacturers, come together to discuss what is new, what is needed and what is on the horizon. Greenbuild China 2017 followed in this tradition, yet provided a new forum for the award-winning event, convening hundreds of green building professionals and stakeholders in Shanghai at the W Hotel for three days of workshops, education, networking and inspiration.
China’s sustainability journey has been one marked with incredible achievements. China currently stands as the one of the top markets in the world for LEED, second only to the United States. Additionally, over 3,000 LEED-credentialed professionals work or live in China. The exponential growth of LEED in China provides critical help in mitigating the effects of climate change and positively affects the health and well-being of millions of people. There are over 1,100 certified LEED commercial projects in mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau. And this is just the beginning.
During his keynote address, Mahesh Ramanujam, President and CEO of USGBC and GBCI, reflected on the incredible speed and growth of green building in China, remarking that this is a product of the values that are so key in Chinese culture – warmth, caring and human connections.
Greenbuild China was an incredible experience that brought together speakers and guests to share ideas.
The Opening Plenary featured remarks from some of China’s distinguished leaders, including:
- Mr. Liu Qian Wei, Chief Engineer Shanghai Municipal Commission of Housing, Urban—Rural Development and Management
- Mr. Luo Bo Ming, Chairman, Beijing New Aerotropolis Group
- United States Consul General Sean Stein
The plenary keynote address was delivered by Rick Fedrizzi, Chairman and CEO, International WELL Building Institute, and was followed by an acknowledgment of some of Greater China’s newest and most notable green building projects: those certified in 2017 as LEED Platinum, and those certified under other green building rating systems, including WELL, EDGE and Parksmart.
The Greenbuild China Leadership Luncheon featured a keynote address delivered by Mahesh Ramanujam. Sam Xie, Head of Research, CBRE China, presented findings from the 2017 China Green Building White Paper. This event also included a dialogue featuring the unique perspective of the region’s top developers, including:
- Dr Raymond Yau, General Manager, Technical Services and Sustainable Development, SWIRE Properties
- Mr. Charlie Peng, Managing Director, Asset Services, Limetree Capital
- Mr. Alan To, Senior Director, Property Management, Tishman Speyer
- Ms. Cheng Ming, General Manager, Product Design and Development Center, CapitaLand China
- Nellie Cheng, Managing Director, China, USGBC (moderator)
The Women in Green Power Breakfast is an event that inspires, uplifts and challenges the women of the green building movement. Since the first Women in Green event in San Francisco (2012), it has become a mainstay at Greenbuilds around the world. Speakers for the event in China included:
- Linda Hu CEO, Shanghai GreenCity Architectural Co. Ltd.
- Lucy Lei Vice President and General Manager, Asia, Interface
- Professor Xu Jihuan Chairman, Shanghai Pacific Energy Center
- Nellie Cheng, managing Director, China, USGBC (moderator)
The Awards Ceremony and Luncheon that closed Greenbuild China was a celebration of some of China’s most influential leaders, who have contributed in a very meaningful way to the green built environment with the 2017 Greenbuild China Leadership Awards. The recipients of this prestigious honor were:
- The Dalian Wanda Group
- Mr. Cai Fangming
- Shougang Group Co. Limited
This was also a time to thank and acknowledge the organizations and professionals with LEED or WELL credentialls working every day to make green building a reality in China.
Greater China: Excellence in green building
2017 LEED Platinum projects
- Beijing Ideal Plaza
- CaSO Sky
- CECEP Jiangxi Low Carbon Pavilion
- CIFI BJ ZeroCarbon Sustainable Demo Building
- Citi Hong Kong OBE East Tower
- CITIC Dicastal Innovation Center
- CMB Tower
- Corporate Avenue 1 and 2
- Delta Electronics Shanghai Headquarters
- Goldin Financial Global Centre
- Hefei Unilever Distribution Center–1A
- Hefei Unilever Distribution Center–1B
- Hefei Unilever Distribution Center–2A
- Hefei Unilever Distribution Center–2B
- Hefei Unilever Distribution Center–Admin
- HK Electric–IT Operations Centre at EC
- JiGuang Green Building Center
- Junson International Center
- Metropole Head Office
- New World International Trade Tower I/II
- NTT Communications Hong Kong FDC2
- OCG International Center
- Parkview Green
- Peking University HBSC Business School
- Pfizer 120D Aseptic Facility
- Positec China HQ Office Building
- Suzhou Wyeth–A01 Head Block Building
- Swarovski Beijing Indigo
- TaiKoo Hui Guangzhou Mall
- TaiKoo Hui Guangzhou Office Tower 1
- TaiKoo Hui Guangzhou Office Tower 2
- The Center–Re
- Wuhan New World Centre Office A-B
- Yanlord Lankmark
- Zhuhai Singyes R/D Building
LEED Platinum and EDGE-certified
JCI HQ Asia PacificLinkong 11-3. BLK. 9
LEED- and WELL-certified
Haworth Kerry Center Organic Showroom
LEED service providers
- Atkins Consultants (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. Shanghai Branch
- BEEs–Bisagni Environmental Enterprise
- Bureau Veritas
- CABR Shanghai Branch
- Das Daring Energy Technology Co., Ltd.
- EMSI-Environmental Market Solutions, Inc.
- Enertek Sustainable Design & Technology
- I.DEA Ecological Solutions
- Shanghai Pacific Energy Center
- SRIBS–Shanghai Research Institute of Building Sciences
- THUPDI-Beijing Tsinghua Tongheng Urban Planning & Design Institute
- WSP USA