GBCI Press Kit
Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI) is the premier organization for independently recognizing excellence in green business industry performance and practice globally, through third party verification services for certification and credentialing.
GBCI drives best practices in sustainability and represents the highest standards of quality. Certification and credentialing is used within the global green building industry to demonstrate credibility, provide a metric for comparisons and add significant value.
Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI) was founded in January 2008 with the support of the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) to provide independent oversight of professional credentialing and project certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) green building rating system. Today, GBCI is the exclusive certification and credentialing body within the green business and sustainability industry to exclusively administer project certifications and professional credentials of LEED, the EDGE system for emerging markets, PEER power system performance, the ICP global underwriting standard, the WELL building standard, SITES sustainable landscapes and TRUE Zero Waste.
GBCI provides its customers with trusted, quality third-party certification and award-winning customer service; dedicated technical experts at GBCI ensure building certification meets the highest levels of quality and integrity. With locations in the U.S., China, Europe, India and Mexico, GBCI supports project teams and professionals all over the world.
LEED certification is an international symbol of sustainability excellence that signifies a building is lowering carbon emissions, conserving resources, reducing operating costs, prioritizing sustainable practices and creating a healthier environment.
TRUE is a certification program dedicated to measuring, improving and recognizing zero waste performance by encouraging the adoption of sustainable resource management and waste reduction practices that contribute to positive environmental, health and economic outcomes.
A TRUE certified project’s goal is to divert all solid waste from the landfill, incineration (waste-to-energy) and the environment.
SITES is a program that promotes sustainable and resilient landscape development and green infrastructure strategies at sites with or without buildings to support the development of healthy, thriving communities and neighborhoods.
A PEER Rating System certification measures and improves power system performance and electricity infrastructure, promoting systems that are resilient in the face of disasters, reliable in ability to meet everyday needs, and sustainable in a way that prioritizes efficiency and mitigates the impacts of climate risk.
The program can be used for power systems of all sizes, including campuses, microgrids, critical infrastructure, an entire city’s grid or a utility territory, and even transit systems.
RELi is a rating system that takes a holistic approach to resilient design.
It can be used to assess and plan for all of the acute hazards that buildings and communities can face during unplanned events, prepare to mitigate against these hazards and design and construct buildings to maintain critical life-saving services in the event of extended loss of power, heating fuel or water.
An innovation of IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, EDGE is a green building certification system focused on making buildings in emerging markets more resource-efficient.
It empowers developers and builders to quickly identify the most cost-effective ways to reduce energy use, water use and embodied energy in materials. GBCI is a certification provider for EDGE in countries around the globe.
ICP is a global underwriting standard for developing and measuring energy efficiency retrofits for commercial and multifamily residential buildings.
IREE certification signals to investors buildings that adhere to rigorous standards, reducing risk and lowering transaction costs related to energy efficiency.
By the numbers
GBCI Guiding Principles
- Ensuring Validity and Quality: We ensure rigor in the design, development and implementation of the processes and tools used to measure performance (certification) and practice (credentialing). Our approaches and methodologies deliver consistency and objectivity to assure the validity of those certifications and credentials.
- Operating with Transparency and Clarity: We are open and transparent in both the way we do business and in the information we share. We conduct our business with a deep sense of integrity and ethical responsibility that creates predictability and confidence in the marketplace and for our stakeholders.
- Adapting to Change: We continually adapt to the changing needs of the global marketplace, advancing our knowledge and expertise to accelerate the adoption of green business practices and enhance their effectiveness around the world.
- Providing Excellence in Service: Through our responsiveness and excellence in service, we are committed to establishing high-quality, enduring relationships with our customers and clients.
- Driving Change to Create Lasting Benefits for the World: We drive market transformation on a global scale that is economically, environmentally, and socially sustainable. We recognize leadership through third party verification of green business performance, the accreditation / credentialing of individual green business knowledge and business expertise, and the verification of green performance buildings, communities, cities, states, and countries through our performance certification platform.