Parksmart, formerly known as Green Garage Certification, is the world’s only rating system designed to advance sustainable mobility through smarter siting, design and operations while using fewer resources.
Administered by Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI), Parksmart is a complement to LEED and other green rating systems. Parking is one of the largest land uses in cities and with the number of motor vehicles expected to reach two billion by 2030, parking structures emerge as a transformative tool to drive tomorrow’s sustainable mobility network.
What is Parksmart?
- Parksmart defines, measures and recognizes high-performing, sustainable garages. It provides a roadmap for new and existing parking facilities to put innovative, solution-oriented strategies in to practice that reduce environmental impact and improve performance.
- The rating system awards points for forward-thinking and sustainable practices across four categories: management, programs, technology and structure design, and innovation. A total of 248 points are available and projects that receive 160+ are awarded the highest level, Parksmart Gold.
- The Parksmart certification was developed by industry experts. The rating system guides new or existing structures towards efficient solutions that benefit building owners, property managers, tenants, drivers and society overall.
- Parksmart involves a rigorous review process based on transportation best practices. Certification helps projects reduce environmental impact, increasing energy efficiency and performance, improve lighting and ventilation, promote alternative modes of transportation, integrate sustainable mobility services and technologies, diversify mobility options and create stronger community relations.
- Parksmart Advisor is a professional credential that recognizes individuals who are well versed in implementing strategies designed to reduce the energy and environmental footprint of parking facilities. To earn the credential, candidates must participate in a training course and pass an assessment.
- Parksmart creates opportunities for parking structures to reduce operational costs up to 25 percent compared to the national average. In addition, the program helps structures lower their energy usage through improved lighting, ventilation, controls and commissioning measures.
- Parksmart embraces technology and innovation. It accelerates the growth of business models integrating connected cars, consumer choice, multimodal mobility, smart parking and intelligent transportation innovations and other rapidly advancing technologies.
- High-performance structures, technologies and practices of Parksmart garages have substantial economic, environmental and social benefits. Certified projects help reduce energy consumption, maximize performance, minimize waste and harmful emissions, and encourage biking, car sharing, carpooling and alternative fuel vehicles.
- Parksmart garages incorporate an array of innovative and reliable sustainable practices. Projects utilize energy-efficient lighting and ventilation, guidance systems to help drivers find parking faster, idle-reduction technologies, electric vehicle fueling, bicycle parking and storm water management practices.